Thursday, April 18, 2013

Katty Kay: Marriage Is “Old Fashioned” If You Want to Have Kids.

Katty Kay: Marriage Is “Old Fashioned” If You Want to Have Kids. By Noel Sheppard. NewsBusters, April 7, 2013. YouTube. YouTube.

Advice for the Young Women of Princeton: Find a Husband. By Susan A. Patton. NJBR, April 1, 2013, with related articles.





Video transcript:

KATTY KAY, BBC: I actually think the more important point for women is actually about when you have kids, that we are leaving it very late. The professional women are leaving it into their mid to late 30s. It becomes increasingly hard to have children. And that is the more . . .
 
CHRIS MATTHEWS, HOST: When’s the clock, when’s the clock ring?
 
KAY: I think in the mid, I don't know what the latest science is. I mean, increasingly you can have children later and later, but I don't think it particularly increases your health chances later and later. And I think that, my advice would have been to younger women to focus more on when you have children rather than saying you have to find a husband when you're in university.
 
I mean, look, we live in the world – whether you like it or whether you don't like it – of a post-nuclear family. People are having children by themselves, they are having children with their gay partners, they are having children with their unmarried heterosexual partners, they are adopting children. The marriage component of it to me feels like a fairly old fashioned piece of advice.